Abby Norman happily sends her daughter to a niggerschool. She is also the proud author of a book called "Ask Me About My Uterus."

A friend and I were recently chatting about her move to the neighborhood next to mine. I was surprised that she didn't even look across the dividing line road we live about two blocks from. She shrugged her shoulders, "Yeah, I really like your house but our real estate agent said we shouldn't even look there because of the schools."

Because of the schools. The school I send my daughter to. She did not look at the houses with more square footage and a smaller price tag because someone who has never been in the school doesn't find it suitable.

This summer, when I told the other moms at the pool where my kids went to school, I was repeatedly told to move them.
The same people who were questioning the school I picked for my girls and starting their own charter school wanted to talk to me about the This American Life podcast about segregated schools. They wanted to talk to me about things I already knew.

Our schools are more segregated than they have ever been. Our educational system is deeply inequitable. Things are only getting worse.

They shook their concerned liberal heads in sadness wondering what they could do. Then they made sure their child got into the very white, pretty affluent charter school that is not representative of their neighborhood. When one didn't exist, they took their resources and began creating one.

When I am able to move past the anger and frustration that people talk about at a school they know nothing about, I listen to what they say. Behind all the test score talk, the opportunity mumbo-jumbo that people lead with, I feel what's actually being said (and what is never being said) is this: That school is too black.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wh...466087b5&ei=18