Close

Likes Likes:  28
Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Unregistered
    Chimpout Guest

Bond novels

I quit watching the bond movies after Quantum of Solace. Too PC and just CGI action flicks. I highly recommend everybody unwind with the Audio versions of Ian Flemming's Bond novels. They're a real escape. Sexist, chauvinistic, imperialist and racist all in a Savile Row suited, Bentley driving, English gentlemen's club ambience. Wonderful 'theatre of the mind' .

2. Likes IseDaDiva liked this post
    Unregistered
    Chimpout Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I highly recommend everybody unwind with the Audio versions of Ian Flemming's Bond novels. They're a real escape. Sexist, chauvinistic, imperialist and racist all in a Savile Row suited, Bentley driving, English gentlemen's club ambience. Wonderful 'theatre of the mind' .
    To be fair, that was the original intent of the novels. Escapism.

Bond in real life would probably be the worst intelligence agent and/or spy. In some of the movies, it seems to be heavily implied that he was captured, tortured, and killed, and the rest is pure fantasy.

I mean, for starters, is James Bond his real name, and if it is, why does he give out that name on all of his missions? The internet may not have existed during the time periods when the books/movies were made, but it's not unrealistic for state sponsored terrorists to compare notes, even with ancient technology like snail mail, telephones, and couriers.