Quote Originally Posted by Celticgirl View Post
I'm Catholic but that is one thing I do not like about the church. My priest works with death row inmates and he offers prayers to them during the mass before they are executed. I don't like it but what can I do.
I have to admit, as a STEM guy I am more on the agnostic side of affairs. But I of course admit there are things that can't be explained: That starts with very philosophical things, like "why does the universe exist", and ends with the question of how to behave towards other people. But if there is a superior being (god) responsible, or whatever else there might be - that is far beyond of what I am able to contemplate. So I decided I'll stay with "I have no idea".
That said, ultimately I do believe in certain social and ethnic values, especially the "Christian values" like the "golden rule" (of course ancient China, Greece... already had similar sayings as well), because that simply seems to be the right thing!
Which brings me to my main argument: I do not believe that morality and values are tied to a church!! Churches always try to "rule" your faith in some way, even though they can't (at least to my mind). Therefore to my mind it is completely ok to not like "the" church (or some aspects of it), or to disagree with what your priest does in some aspects. It's the big picture that counts. He is human as well, humans make mistakes. And if we actually were created by a superior beeing, he created us including our brains and our mistakes -> preasts can be wrong, and you are supposed to use your brain and question things that seem to be wrong. Just my completely irrelevant opinion of course.