Former Student Sues Minooka Community High School, Says Racism Is Blatant, Rampant, And Entrenched There

Fabian, 19, was flashing back a year to his senior psychology class at Minooka Community High School in the village of Minooka southwest of Chicago. He said a white student brought in a large cookie.

“When I jokingly reached for it – he was at the front of the class – he turned around and said, ‘If you touch that cookie cake, I’m going to lynch you,’” Fabian said. “‘I didn’t even know how to respond. It was like a deer-in-the-headlights kind of moment.”
Washington said the student was eventually suspended. But it was just the beginning of a now-legal fight to change a culture of what they claim is systemic racism at the high school, which they hope this lawsuit will address.
“It was apparent from day one that this was not something that they were really going to treat seriously,” said Fabian’s mother, TeSaxton Washington.
Washington points to the high school’s 1987 “Slave Days” activities, which included lynching and slave trade simulations, as examples of an entrenched racist culture that she claims former and current school administrators don’t take seriously.
https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/11...acism-lawsuit/