Quote Originally Posted by Midder Peenud Hayed View Post
Our girls just turned 15, and by this time next year, will probably be driving. It scares the hell out of me!

As for airbags, anyone who has never been in an accident and had them deploy, has no idea of the force and intensity when they inflate. I don't know if you were around last summer when I was in an accident in Texas. I was in a rented GMC SUV thing and was hit by a drunk driver (and illegal alien). It went like this over the course of about 1 second... BANG! Then Pop, Pop, Pop! My left arm was destroyed (requiring hours of surgery and months of recovery), and I'm not so sure the airbags weren't partially responsible.
My first hit was by a full force first-gen airbag that luckily didn't take my head off. The next three times (and none of these were my fault!) were from "safer" airbags that still felt like a heavyweight boxer. The last time, I was so dazed that I don't remember opening my door and trying to get out, but held back in by my seatbelt.

Sandman Sr. let me get my license at 16 "for emergencies only," in case something happened to both my parents. He said if I got a job for my own car and own insurance, fine, but until then I had no right to drive. My younger sister was jealous as hell when she turned 16 and wasn't allowed to get a license, but one teen driver was bad enough. Come to think of it I think that's when Sandman Sr.'s hair started going white and not just gray!