Joseph Bernard J. Combs, 20, of Gainesville, faces multiple charges, including attempted murder and rape.

Gainesville police say a 20-year-old man beat, raped and threatened his pregnant girlfriend with a knife, trying to kill the baby.

Joseph Bernard J. Combs, of Gainesville, was arrested Friday on charges of attempted murder, sexual battery, aggravated battery, aggravated assault and kidnapping, according to his arrest affidavit.

The crimes occurred early Friday morning at the woman’s home, according to the GPD report. Combs and the woman, who is 19 weeks pregnant with Combs’ child, had been dating for about a year.

The woman was on the phone with someone while Combs waited for her to hang up. When she did, the report says, Combs told her, “I’m sorry, but I can’t let you have my son.”

Police said in the report that Combs grabbed the woman by the hair and dragged her into the living room, where he repeatedly punched her and kicked her in abdomen. After that, he is accused of dragging her upstairs by her hair and continuing to punch and kick her in the stomach.
https://www.gainesville.com/news/201...-baby-cops-say