In case you wondered why (beyond the obvious) there weren't any spear chuckers in the early space race, up to and including the Apollo missions...

Because a great American, Chuck Yeager said "no niggers". Actually Yeager, a Colonel at the time was in charge of the Aerospace Research Pilot School at Edward's Air Force Base. That nigger lover Robert Kennedy pushed hard and eventually installed a few spooks at the school but Yeager wasn't having any of it. One such nigger, Ed Dwight tried.

From Day 1, Dwight said, Yeager wanted him gone. Yeager had little patience for White House input on military matters, as he explained in his 1985 autobiography, “Yeager.” Dwight said he immediately felt he was not welcome, that he was not of the group. “He told those guys on the first day, ‘We can get him out of here in six months. We can break him,’”
To hear others tell it, Yeager actually said "we can get the nigger out of here in six months"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chuck_Yeager.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	257.7 KB 
ID:	7582

But the only thing waiting for Dwight on Monday was Yeager. “Every week, right on the dot,” Dwight recalled, “he’d call me into his office and say, ‘Are you ready to quit? This is too much for you and you’re going to kill yourself, boy.’ Calling me a boy and I’m an officer in the Air Force.”

Yeager denies Dwight’s account of his treatment: He said he did not tell anybody that he would get Dwight out of the program, did not have weekly meetings with him and did not call him “boy.” But he was no champion of Dwight and did question his ability. “Isn’t it great that Ed Dwight found his true calling and became an accomplished sculptor?” Yeager said in an email.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/16/u...-happened.html