PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Negro Fort

Espantoon
07-30-2021, 04:46 PM
I had never of this event until I came across it in a history book I am reading. A bunch of runaway slaves took over an abandoned British fort in Florida, along with a few Indian allies. In addition to encouraging other chimps to runaway, they ambushed a party of U.S. sailors and killed four of them, burning one alive. The U.S. finally got fed up, and Andrew Jackson sent troops and some gunboats to capture the fort. The chimps didn't know how to use YT's artillery that the British had left at the fort, and so didn't put up effective resistance. During the bombardment, a hot shot cannonball hit the fort's powder magazine, which exploded. Nearly 300 niggers were immediately deleted and the entire fort destroyed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negro_Fort#Battle_of_Negro_Fort

SC Anemia
07-30-2021, 05:38 PM
I didn't know about this, thanks Espantoon! I love history!

Then the defenders opened fire with their cannons, but they had not been trained in using artillery, and were thus unable to utilise it effectively

Couldn't hit anything with a cannon either. Bwahaha. Maybe they had them mounted sideways?

P.S. I would have loved to have heard that powder magazine explode...from a safe distance. :lol

haywood
07-30-2021, 06:36 PM

Couldn't hit anything with a cannon either. Bwahaha. Maybe they had them mounted sideways?

P.S. I would have loved to have heard that powder magazine explode...from a safe distance. :lol

As WOULD I!!

LeQuint Dickey Mining Co.
07-30-2021, 07:52 PM

Probably had the cannons mounted backwards.:fling2

Coon Club Road
07-31-2021, 01:19 AM
Leave it to niggers to be captured from a fort!

tweakstick
07-31-2021, 03:48 AM
Being a bit of a history buff myself, I was surprised that I've never heard this story before. Enjoyable read - good find, Espantoon!
:thumb

Tar Remover
09-20-2021, 11:37 AM
EXCELLENT! Thank you Espantoon! The Battle of Fort Nigger!