PDA

View Full Version : Active Duty Thanksgiving

SC Anemia
11-22-2018, 07:31 PM
The veterans here will get this. :lol

SC Anemia
11-22-2018, 08:49 PM
That must be a Jarhead special. Never saw one of those in the Air Force. We always had pretty decent chow for Thanksgiving, or you scored yourself an invite to one of the married guys houses for real food. :lol

I was talking about the actual military. :lol

Cracka Jack
11-22-2018, 09:14 PM
Before WWII my dad was in the NG. His unit went to NY for some training, somewhere along the St Lawrence Seaway. A day or so before Thanksgiving, he sees a bunch of ducks in the water right near shore, thinks to himself, "boy, I bet the guys would like some fresh duck for Thanksgiving". So.... he grabs a BAR...... :lol

Gets down prone on a terrace overlooking the water and lets out a burst.... Ducks scatter... a few feathers, but no floaters. Waits a while, ducks settle down again, prepares to have a second go at it. It was at this time that the CO gave him a swift kick in the ass, " ****(last name)**** WHAT IN THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!???

He said the CO let him off easy because he liked him.

Sometime I'll relate a similar story he told me about wanting to take a deer for the guys while he was in Germany near the end of the war.... Nearly got shot by friendly fire.

SC Anemia
11-22-2018, 09:57 PM
5452 :lmao

Ignatow
11-22-2018, 10:42 PM
I remember those canned turkey slices around the early 80s. Sometimes the alternative was a spam like pork cylinder. I prefer honeybaked ham these days.

SC Anemia
11-22-2018, 11:53 PM
I remember those canned turkey slices around the early 80s. Sometimes the alternative was a spam like pork cylinder. I prefer honeybaked ham these days.

You a vet Ignatow?
I actually ate that shit in the mid-seventies. Ordinary, we just ate at the chow hall but during infantry training at Camp Pendleton we gagged down the canned crap. C-rats, maybe K-rats, I'm not sure of anything except that it was probably Korean War surplus. A can of 9-lives would have been tastier. :lol

Ignatow
11-24-2018, 02:36 AM
I'm proud to have served. That was a few lifetimes ago. I remember those thinner cans of peanut butter in olive drab, crackers, sugar...sometimes some soupy salty canned chicken, or beans. Gosh that memory of the canned turkey has been deep in my subconscious which I haven't even thought about for 35+ years.